How to Launch a Successful Online Shop
Online shops are in demand, and online shopping has been a common practice for millions of people. According to statistics, online shoppers in the U.S. are projected to grow from 209.6 million in 2016 to 230.5 million in 2021.
One of the top reasons why Americans prefer to shop online is because of the experience the business is providing and the comfort that they get to enjoy. As a result, shopping online is starting to become more like shopping in person.
Unlike brick and mortar shops, online shoppers only rely on the shop’s reputation, product reviews, descriptions, and images to decide whether they are going to buy a product.
If you are just starting an online shop business, you need to know how to launch it successfully. Here are some tips to guide you.
Write a product description that sells
Online shops must provide all the important details as much as possible about the product to help their customers decide whether to make a purchase. There are also some important points that you should consider in writing a product description.
1. You should define your target audience, and this is by understanding your buyer persona. By writing a product description to your targeted buyer’s persona, you can tailor the content of your product description by focusing on your target customers’ wants and needs.
2. Focus on your product benefits instead of features. Although your product has tons of cool features, the truth is, your customers are not that interested in those. What they care about is your product’s benefits—what problems your product can solve, and how it can improve their lives.
3. Use emotions to influence your buyer’s behavior. Emotions greatly influence a person in making decisions. In fact, research shows that emotions influence judgments and choices. Marketers are aware of this and use this to make sales.
4. Choose the right tone and language for your product description. Once you have identified your target customer or buyer persona, it is easy for you to tap into their sense of urgency, what makes them tick, and the language they use. Usually, product descriptions are written using a friendly tone, and from a second-person point of view.
Use high-quality images
Using a high-quality image is essential when selling online, especially when your customers cannot physically touch the product you are selling. By using high-quality images, you are able to allow your customers to interact and “feel” the product by just looking at the image.
There should also be two types of images on your product page.
First is the clean-cut photo of your product in a white background. Your product image should be zoomable and clear enough that when it is enlarged, it shows the details of the product, like stitching, texture, and construction. There should also be multiple views of your products so your customers can see the front, back, side, and other specific details of the products.
Second is a lifestyle photo or a photo of your product in action or being used in its intended environment. For example, if you are selling knives, then the intended environment is the kitchen.
Build a better social media presence
About 4.8 billion people use the Internet, and 3.8 billion people use social media. A lot of businesses take advantage of social media, especially in online shops. In fact, 90% of businesses in the U.S. were using social media to market their products and services in 2017.
Your target audience and potential customers can easily find out about your product with social media. Therefore, once you have chosen your social media platform, you must work on your social media presence or social media campaign. This is by creating a social media strategy and promoting your business using your chosen platform.
Choose your payment gateway
For your business to earn, you must have payment gateways so that you can accept payments. Your payment gateways must be quick, convenient, safe, easy-to-use by your customers and compatible with your platform.
According to invespcro.com, the average shopping cart abandonment is 65.23%. 7% of those buyers abandon their shopping carts because the online shop does not have enough payment options.
In choosing payment gateways, you must study your options before you choose a payment solution that will benefit your customers and your business. You may also consider the following:
- Study the pricing or fee for using the third-party tool.
- There are merchant account options, by which a bank can process transactions.
- Supports all necessary payment methods, such as PayPal, credit card, debit card, and other e-payment methods.
- International transactions and availability in other countries.
Plan your shipping strategy
Online stores rely on shipping services to transport the purchased products from them (the retailer) to their customers.
According to invespcro.com, 44% of buyers abandon their shopping carts because of high shipping costs. Therefore, retailers should find the right shipping strategy and should offer a fast yet affordable shipping method. Some of the best shipping strategy successful online shops offers are:
- Same-day delivery, where the product will be delivered the same day it has been purchased. A survey shows that 74% of U.S. consumers are more likely to repurchase a product after receiving same-day delivery.
- Overnight shipping, this is where the customer will receive the product the day after the purchase has been made.
- Expedited shipping, this is by shipping the product faster or earlier than the standard shipping schedule or transit time.
- International shipping, this is where you are able to ship the products overseas.