Education is rapidly shifting to online learning, especially today that we are facing a pandemic. Education providers have forced experimentation outside the physical classroom with technology-enabled learning, such as online education. Skill Success, for example, is an online learning platform that offers thousands of online video courses and tons of online learning benefits for students. Although there are benefits or advantages, just like other online learning platforms, there disadvantages as well. Here are the usual drawbacks that you might experience in taking online courses or online learning and ways how you can overcome them.
The main advantage of online learning is flexibility. However, one of the biggest disadvantages of online learning or the online learners are facing is poor time management. Taking online courses is the same as taking regular face-to-face courses—it requires much of your time and rigorous work. Effective management is the first step towards achieving any goal. Thus, online courses require good time management skills and self-discipline for you to complete your course.
Here are some strategies to help you manage your time for online study:
- Set aside a schedule for online learning and stick to it.
- Make online learning a professional priority.
- Get rid of distractions during study time.
- Set goals and rewards.
Lack of motivation
Another reason why students fail to complete an online course is because of the lack of motivation. There are numerous external, internal, and personal factors that affect a student’s motivation. For example, the challenge for most adult learners is managing their time for studies, work, and family demands. Also, most online students tend to experience cognitive overload. This happens when a student is unable to process information because he/she receives too much information or too many tasks to learn simultaneously. Here are some tips to keep the level of your motivation high.
- Have an ultimate goal in mind, whether your reason is to obtain a certificate, boost your self-esteem, or to aim for a higher position in your organization.
- Keep a record of your progress to see your improvement.
- Don’t hesitate to ask for help if you need it. It could be from a mentor, your instructor, or a study buddy.
- Create a study calendar to keep you on the right track and so that you can focus on completing goals.
- Get familiar with the course. Read the curriculum so that you can have an idea of what to expect and help you prepare for the upcoming assignments.
A sense of loneliness and isolation
Sometimes, online studies make students feel isolated, especially when you are a social person. This is because some online students feel alone in their virtual classroom, studying independently, and without any support. Taking online classes can cause discomfort for some and may take some getting used to because of the different learning atmosphere, but there are different ways on how you can combat the feeling of isolation and loneliness.
- You can connect with other online learners by organizing a virtual study group or just reach out and offer help. Remember that you are not alone in this kind of situation, and other online learners feel a sense of isolation.
- Maintain a balance between online studies and a personal social life of some kind.
- Don’t miss the opportunity to interact with your instructor.
Technical issues are inevitable in online learning, and according to research, it can have a negative effect on important training outcomes. It also causes frustration and dissatisfaction with the instructional experience.
Having patience is important when faced with technical difficulties to avoid frustration. Choosing an online course that does not require you to use high-speed internet or huge internal memory can help. This is because you can load and stream the online course without disruptions. You can also choose an online course that will not require you to download documents or learning materials. It is also helpful if you choose online courses with an FAQ section or customer service to help you if you have encountered technical problems.
Ready to move up in your career? Click here to get started.