Effective collaboration is crucial for a business to be productive. Studies indicate that those working in collaborative settings are more effective at completing tasks than those working independently. New technological developments and office design have led to the rise of so-called smart offices, that is, workspaces that can increase productivity, efficiency, savings, and comfort.
Smart meeting rooms are one of the primary components of a smart office. Let’s look at how these solutions can improve team collaboration and increase productivity.
What are Smart Meeting Rooms?
Smart meeting rooms are meeting spaces and conference rooms that leverage modern technologies to make collaborations between workers and partners more effective, creative, and dynamic. They are designed to be extremely flexible and customizable, thus adapting to the collaborative needs of different businesses and organizations.
What are the Main Components of Smart Meeting Rooms?
Here are the technologies that are most commonly used in smart meeting rooms.
- Room scheduling software: These tools can track the meeting room’s usage and allow teams to book and manage meeting rooms with ease seamlessly. This can reduce issues like double booking and no-show attendees.
- Video conferencing tools: This type of software has become extremely popular during the pandemic as it allows remote and hybrid workers to meet with each other and in-office workers easily and give their total contribution to the conference.
- Smart sensors: These sensors can detect the current occupancy level of a meeting room and adjust lighting and temperature accordingly. This can increase the comfort level of those attending the meeting and help the business cut its energy bills.
- Smart whiteboards: Thanks to their ability to accept digital inputs, these whiteboards allow team members to perform many more actions than traditional whiteboards. They can connect to the internet and play videos. Moreover, they can be saved when the meeting is over, which reduces the need for team members to take notes, allowing them to focus 100% on the conversation.
- Physical security devices: Smart meeting rooms (and smart offices in general) can reinforce the business’ physical security controls and measures by installing powerful technologies, ranging from modern access control solutions to cloud-based video security to smoke detectors and smart alarms.
Smart Meeting Rooms Can Maximize Space Usage
By leveraging the aforementioned booking software, smart meeting rooms allow the business to get the most out of its space. Before these tools were available, overbooking meeting rooms was a common occurrence. This led to both excessively crowded spaces and more time wasted looking for available space. Both these factors had a significant impact on business productivity.
Thanks to the introduction of smart meeting rooms, companies can now take advantage of the full potential of their meeting rooms, with a positive effect on the team’s ability to reach specific goals and the organization’s overall profitability.
Smart meetings also have numerous design features that allow teams to get the most out of the space. For example, movable walls can be opened and closed as needed, and easily movable furniture allows the team to reconfigure the space within minutes and adapt it to the meeting’s needs.
Smart Meeting Rooms Can Boost Engagement
By creating a more comfortable environment for their workers and providing them with numerous technological tools to achieve their tasks faster, a smart meeting room can boost the team’s overall level of engagement.
Smart sensors can adjust the level of lighting to each stage of the meeting, while smart whiteboards and video conferencing tools allow team members to quickly and effortlessly share documents, highlight important concepts, expand on certain elements, and brainstorm. Combining these factors can elevate the level of collaboration and creativity, with an obvious impact on the meeting’s capability to achieve its goals.
Smart Meeting Rooms Can Facilitate Collaboration Among Remote Workers
With the rise of hybrid and remote work models, businesses must ensure that their meeting spaces are well-equipped to enable effective collaboration between in-office and remote employees.
The features provided by smart meeting rooms make it much easier for physically distant workers to converse, share files, and discuss ideas. The combination of high-quality video capabilities, interactive displays, and smart whiteboards eliminates any restrictions remote workers may have felt in the past when communicating with in-office personnel.
Smart meeting technologies also make it easier for those who could not attend the meetings to watch the full conversations later and stay up to date on new developments and decisions concerning important projects.
Smart Meeting Rooms Can Help Businesses Cut Costs
Last but not least, smart meeting rooms can positively affect the overall level of productivity by helping a business achieve significant savings. These rooms are equipped to make it easy for participants to present from their own laptops, eliminating the need for expensive hardware.
Moreover, optimizing the meeting room’s scheduling system ensures rooms are used efficiently, and no unnecessary costs are incurred due to overbooking.
Finally, smart sensors can effectively decrease energy waste by adjusting lighting and temperature to the number of occupants.