Traveling around the world is an incredibly rewarding and enriching experience. Not only does it give you the opportunity to see new places and experience different cultures, but it also allows you to step out of your comfort zone and grow as a person. Whether you’re looking for adventure, relaxation, or a bit of both, a round-the-world trip is the perfect way to expand your horizons and create memories that will last a lifetime.
This blog post will cover everything you need to know about planning and navigating a round-the-world trip. From setting a budget and researching destinations, to tips for staying safe and making the most of your journey, we’ll provide you with all the information and inspiration you need to plan the trip of a lifetime.
Planning your trip
Setting a budget
When planning a round-the-world trip, setting a budget is one of the most important steps. According to a report by the travel company Contiki, the average cost of a round-the-world trip for a millennial traveler is around $20,000. However, this number can vary greatly depending on factors such as the length of the trip, the destinations you choose to visit, and your preferred travel style.
To set a budget that works for you, it’s important to take a realistic look at your finances and determine how much you can afford to spend. Consider your current savings, any potential income from freelance work or a part-time job, and any other sources of funding that may be available to you. Once you have a rough idea of how much you can spend, you can start allocating funds for different expenses such as flights, accommodations, food, and activities.
Experts recommend creating a budget breakdown to help you stay organized and on track. A sample budget breakdown for a round-the-world trip could look something like this:
Of course, this is just an example and your own budget will likely differ depending on your specific travel plans. The most important thing is to be realistic and set a budget that you can stick to.
When planning a round-the-world trip, it’s important to keep in mind that budgeting can be challenging. Unexpected expenses can arise, so having a contingency fund on hand is a smart idea. However, by budgeting effectively and searching for cheap flight tickets, you can focus on the exciting parts of trip planning and enjoy your journey without worrying about overspending.
Researching destinations and creating an itinerary
Researching destinations and creating an itinerary like travel blogger Sian Victoria is a crucial step in planning your round-the-world trip. According to a survey by the travel company Contiki, the top five destinations for round-the-world travelers are Europe, Southeast Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and North America. However, the destinations you choose will depend on your personal travel goals and interests.
To research destinations, you can start by looking into popular travel guides, blogs, and forums. You can also talk to friends or family who have traveled to the destinations you’re interested in. This will give you an idea of the best time to visit, what places to see, and what kind of experiences you want to have. Additionally, research visa requirements, entry and exit fees, and the cost of living in each destination. This information will help you create a rough itinerary that includes destinations, accommodation, and transportation.
Expert tip: Be flexible with your itinerary, as unexpected experiences or detours might come up that you’ll be glad you didn’t miss.
Here are some helpfull resources for researching destinations and creating an itinerary:
- Lonely Planet
- Rough Guides
- Travel blogs
- Trip Advisor
- Travel forums
- Government websites for visa requirements
And here’s a sample itinerary in table form:
|Paris, France||Hotel||3 nights|
|Bangkok, Thailand||Hostel||7 nights|
|Sydney, Australia||Vacation rental||10 nights|
|Cusco, Peru||Hostel||5 nights|
|New York City, USA||Hotel||7 nights|
Keep in mind that your own itinerary will likely differ depending on your specific travel plans and budget. The most important thing is to do your research and create an itinerary that aligns with your travel goals and interests.
Navigating your trip
Preparing for different cultures and customs
Preparing for different cultures and customs is an essential aspect of traveling around the world. According to a study by the travel company Expedia, nearly half of all international travelers say that immersing themselves in local culture is one of the main reasons they travel. However, it’s important to remember that every culture is unique and has its own customs and etiquette.
One expert insight is to research the culture and customs of the destinations you’ll be visiting before you depart. This will help you to understand the local customs, beliefs and values, and ensure that you don’t accidentally offend anyone or break any cultural taboos. It’s also a good idea to learn a few key phrases in the local language, as this can help you to communicate more effectively and show respect for the local culture.
Here are some ideas to help you prepare for different cultures and customs:
- Research the culture and customs of the destinations you’ll be visiting
- Learn key phrases in the local language
- Be respectful of local customs and traditions
- Dress modestly and appropriately
- Be open-minded and try to understand different perspectives
- Show interest and ask locals about their culture
- Be aware of cultural taboos and avoid sensitive topics
By taking the time to prepare for different cultures and customs, you can ensure that you have a more authentic and rewarding travel experience. Not only will you learn more about the places you visit, but you’ll also gain a deeper understanding of the world and its inhabitants.
Tips for staying safe while traveling
Traveling can be a lot of fun, but it’s important to stay safe and protect yourself while on the road. According to the US Department of State, millions of Americans travel abroad each year, but the vast majority of them do so without incident. However, it’s still important to be prepared and take steps to protect yourself from potential dangers. Here are some expert tips for staying safe while traveling:
- Research the destination: Before you go, research the destination and learn about any potential safety concerns. This information can be found on the US Department of State’s website, as well as on other travel-related websites.
- Make copies of important documents: Make copies of your passport, driver’s license, and other important documents and leave them with a trusted friend or family member. This will make it easier to replace them if they are lost or stolen. Make sure to bring all important travel documents such as passport, visa, and insurance information. If you find that your passport is expired at the last moment, make sure to renew it as fast as possible. There are ways to make quick passport photos online.
- Be aware of your surroundings: Stay alert and aware of your surroundings at all times, particularly when in crowded areas or unfamiliar neighborhoods.
- Keep a low profile: Avoid drawing attention to yourself and avoid wearing expensive jewelry or carrying large amounts of cash.
- Use common sense: Use common sense when traveling and trust your instincts. If something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t.
- Don’t leave your drink unattended: Be wary of accepting drinks from strangers, as some people may use this as an opportunity to drug you.
- Be prepared for emergencies: Make sure you have emergency contact information, as well as a list of local hospitals and embassies, in case of an emergency.
- Keep in touch with loved ones: Keep in touch with loved ones back home and let them know your plans and whereabouts.
Traveling to new places can be an exciting and enriching experience, but it’s important to stay aware of potential dangers and take steps to protect yourself.
Packing essentials for a round-the-world trip
When planning a round-the-world trip, packing can be one of the most challenging and overwhelming tasks. With so many destinations and so many different types of weather, it can be difficult to know what to bring. However, by following some expert tips and packing the essentials, you can make the process a lot easier.
- Pack light: According to a survey by the travel company Contiki, the average traveler brings around 21 kg of luggage on a round-the-world trip. However, experts recommend packing light to make it easier to move around and avoid unnecessary baggage fees.
- Be prepared for different climates: You will likely encounter different weather conditions on your trip, so make sure you pack clothes that can be layered and easily adapt to different temperatures.
- Comfortable shoes: Pack comfortable shoes that are suitable for walking and can withstand different types of weather.
- Electronics: Pack your phone, camera, charger, and any other electronics you may need. Remember to also bring a universal adapter and consider a portable charger.
- First aid kit: Pack a small first aid kit with essentials such as pain relievers, band-aids, and any necessary medication.
- Travel documents: Make sure to bring all important travel documents such as passport, visa, and insurance information.
- Cash and credit cards: Bring a mix of cash and credit cards, and be sure to inform your bank of your travel plans to avoid any issues with your card being blocked.
- Personal hygiene items: Pack the essentials such as toothbrush, toothpaste, and any other personal hygiene items you may need.
- Pack a versatile wardrobe: Pack clothes that can be dressed up or down, and that can be mixed and matched for different occasions.
- Leave some room for souvenirs: Leave some room in your luggage for souvenirs and new clothes you may want to buy on your trip.
Focus on quality over quantity, and to choose versatile and comfortable items that can be worn in different weather conditions and cultures.
Making the most of your trip
Trying activities and experiences in each destination
When planning a round-the-world trip, it can be difficult to know what activities and experiences to try in each destination. However, by doing some research and following expert suggestions, you can make the most of your time and create unforgettable memories.
- Research popular activities and experiences: Before you go, research popular activities and experiences in each destination. Look into things like local festivals, outdoor activities, and cultural experiences. This information can be found on the internet, travel guides, and through talking to locals.
- Experience the local culture: One of the most enriching aspects of traveling is experiencing different cultures. Look for opportunities to immerse yourself in the local culture, whether it’s through food, music, or traditional customs.
- Explore the outdoors: Many destinations offer a variety of outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, and water sports. Take advantage of these opportunities to experience the natural beauty of the destination.
- Try something new: Traveling is the perfect opportunity to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Whether it’s bungee jumping, scuba diving, or taking a cooking class, make sure to include some new experiences in your itinerary.
- Visit local markets: Visiting local markets is a great way to experience the local culture and snag some unique souvenirs.
- Take a guided tour: Guided tours can be a great way to learn about a destination and its history. Look for tours that focus on local culture and history.
- Volunteer: Volunteering abroad is a great way to give back and to see a destination from a different perspective.
- Get off the beaten path: While popular tourist destinations can be exciting, don’t be afraid to venture off the beaten path and discover hidden gems.
The best experiences are often the ones that are unplanned and spontaneous. So, keep an open mind and be ready to seize opportunities as they come.
Capturing memories and documenting your journey
Capturing memories and documenting your journey is an essential part of any round-the-world trip. Whether it’s through photographs, videos, or journals, documenting your journey will allow you to relive the experience long after you’ve returned home.
According to a survey by the travel company Contiki, 84% of millennial travelers take photos and videos to document their trip. In addition, 55% of travelers also keep a journal to document their journey. With the advancements in technology, it’s now easier than ever to capture and document your journey.
One of the best ways to capture memories is through photography. With smartphones and digital cameras, it’s easy to take high-quality photos and videos of your journey. Experts recommend taking a mix of candid shots and posed shots to document your trip. For example, take candid shots of local life and posed shots of yourself and your travel companions.
Another way to document your journey is by keeping a journal. This can be a physical journal or an online blog. Writing down your experiences, thoughts, and feelings will help you to remember the trip more vividly. It’s also a great way to reflect on your experiences and remember the lessons you learned.
Social media is also a great way to document your journey and share it with others. Platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok allow you to share photos, videos, and stories from your trip with your friends and family. Experts recommend using hashtags and location tags to make it easy for others to follow your journey.
Capturing and documenting your journey is not only a great way to remember the experience, but it’s also an excellent way to share it with others. Your photos, videos, and journal entries will be a lasting reminder of the amazing experiences you had on your round-the-world trip. So, make sure to take the time to capture and document your journey.
Staying connected with friends and family back home
Staying connected with friends and family back home is an important aspect of any round-the-world trip. Whether it’s through phone calls, text messages, or social media, staying in touch with loved ones can help to ease homesickness and make the experience more enjoyable.
According to a survey by the travel company Contiki, 80% of millennial travelers stay in touch with friends and family while on their round-the-world trip. Staying connected can not only make the trip more enjoyable for you, but it can also provide peace of mind for your loved ones.
One of the easiest ways to stay connected is through social media. Platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok make it easy to share photos, videos, and updates from your trip with your friends and family. Experts recommend using hashtags and location tags to make it easy for others to follow your journey.
Another way to stay connected is through messaging apps like WhatsApp, iMessage, and Viber. These apps allow you to send text messages and make phone calls without incurring international charges.
Using a local SIM card or a portable Wi-Fi device is also a great way to stay connected while traveling. This allows you to have an internet connection wherever you are, so you can make phone calls, send messages, and stay connected on social media.
It’s also a good idea to let your friends and family know your itinerary and your plans. Give them a rough idea of your travel schedule and let them know where you’re planning to stay. You should also make sure to check in with your loved ones regularly, whether it’s through phone calls or messages, to let them know that you’re safe and well. It’s also a good idea to agree on a regular check-in schedule, so you can all plan accordingly.
Finally, consider using a travel tracking app like Find My Friends or Glympse to share your location with your loved ones. This will give them peace of mind and allow them to know your whereabouts at all times.
In conclusion, a round-the-world trip is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that can be a fulfilling and enriching experience. We have covered various aspects of planning and executing such a trip, from setting a budget and researching destinations, to packing essentials and capturing memories. We have also covered the importance of staying connected with friends and family back home, and the benefits of being prepared for different cultures and customs.
Embarking on a round-the-world trip requires careful planning and preparation, but with the right mindset and resources, it can be a truly rewarding experience. To help you plan and prepare for your own round-the-world trip, we recommend taking travel courses on Skill Success. Skill Success offers a wide range of travel courses that can help you to become a more confident and experienced traveler.
Here’s a list of travel courses that we recommend:
These courses will help you to develop the skills and knowledge you need to plan and execute a successful round-the-world trip. So, don’t hesitate, plan and embark on your own round-the-world trip today and make memories that will last a lifetime.